Monday, January 17, 2005

I Hate Being Sick

Sickness used to be fun. You got out of school, and you could get out of chores, and just sit there with a ginger ale watching the Disney channel. What the flip happened to that?
I did get out of school, but now it's the last quarter of my two year IB classes, and so the teachers are in a hurry to unload everything they can on their students. That means that if I miss anything, I've either got to catch up or I'm lost the rest of the year, and considering the speed, even one day means I have to make up a lot (for example, we're doing a "quick" review of matrix transformations right now before we rush into "extended matrix transformations").
So when I finally feel good enough to get out of bed I go downstairs, and we don't have a single soft drink in the house! So, then I go to watch TV. Wouldn't you know it, disney's out! The only thing we have working Boomerang (showing "Tazmania"), Paramount Comedy (showing only British Comedies, and none of them Montey Python), a bunch of Soap Operas, and Dr. Phil! Who the fetch even watches Dr. Phil? He's a psycologist for crying out loud! He pretends to be friend so you think he's all great and awsome and you trust him enough that you don't realize he's feeding you bull plop so you have just as many problems as when you started coming to him!
So, I stopped watching TV, and my parents figure I must be feeling a little bit better, and make me take the dog out. Never mind the fact that it's february in Germany! Not only is it cold and starts me hacking my lungs out again, but the dog takes advantage of my weakened state to pull me through every mudhole from here to Berlin (okay, I'm exagerating, but the dog did take me through a lot of mudholes). Then I come back and find out that I need to go back outside and bring in the groceries. This is despite the cold day, and the fact that I live on the top floor of an apartment building with no elevator.
Now, you may think that I was utterly miserable today, and you'd be quite wrong. I still got to see Deep Impact with my Dad (a good movie), and I did sleep in fairly late, discovered "Mozilla Firefox," (see reference to download) and a number of other things to make this a good day... but my point is sickness isn't everything it used to be when I was a kid, and it scares the heck out of me that it's still going to get worse when I go off to college. *sigh* I wish I could get that sweet deal Bill Murray did in Groundhog Day, or even the one Peter Pan got (where he'd never have to grow up), but then I'd be stuck in highschool for life as well. Guess you gotta take the good with the bad, but I wouldn't mind a little longer being a kid.