Thursday, March 03, 2005

...But French?

I was taking an English test today, and it was hard. I mean, they just threw us a quick exerpt about a bridge, and expected us to know that the bridge was a symbol of the rift between country and city people, as well as disect other litarary devices, such as irony, characterization... the usual for a someone compatent in the English language. The exerpt did have a fairly advanced vocabulary, too.
Now here's why this is odd. I look down on the bottom right corner of the test paper, and it has the instructions "turn page over," written in English and Spanish and French! Umm, correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't someone competant in the English language (or at least someone competant enough to take IB A1 English), and disecst literature, be able to understand a three word sentance without translation?
Now consider also that the International Baccalaureate is supposedly some of the best educational criteria one can have... and they can't even work out that English speakers speak English. Makes you wonder about your school system. I know I've lost faith in at least the International Baccalaureate Program.