Saturday, May 21, 2005

The Brownies

The end of spring means barbecues. And for some reason, Alex Julian's mother thinks that means brownies. I rolled my eyes when I saw she was bringing brownies to our youth group's barbecue, but then she said:
"The diamond in my wedding ring is missing. I think I may have dropped it in the brownies."
Sounded like she was trying to pull one over on me. This sounds like the kind of thing that happens on sitcoms, not real life. But she showed me her wedding ring with the missing diamond.
"I'll give ten bucks to whoever finds it."
Then she just walked off. So I told everyone what Alex's mom said, and they sifted through the brownies.
We heard an occasional, "I found something hard," but it always turned out to be a crusty part of the brownie.
The funny thing was, we got to the point where there was only one left, and nobody wanted to eat it. It's like they were afraid of the diamond or something.
Well, we didn't find it in the end. Though it seemed like my brother was swallowing big bites. I wonder...