Sunday, May 22, 2005

Movie Review: Mulan II

10 year old girls have no taste in movies.
My little sister said that she'd seen "Mulan II" and that it was good, so when it came up on the Disney Channel, I figured I should give it a shot.
BIG MISTAKE!
I've never seen a more predictable movie. I mean, you could tell that Ling, Yao, and Chien-Po would get together with the princesses almost from the moment you could see that there were three princesses. I'll admit, the scene were Shang fell off the bridge had potential to redeem the movie, but only if the guy stayed dead! Instead, his horse goes sniffing around and finds Shang in a watering hole, suddenly emmerging from the water and gasping for air. Like that's never been done in a movie before!
Now this isn't why I hated the movie so bad; every cheesy Disney sequal has been exactly the same. What made this one bad was the theme, which Mulan says in this line:
I know our duty is to the mission, but I have another duty... to my heart.

Let's say that again, except this time without Disney's crap in it:
I know I have a responsibility, but what I want is more important.

Mulan was willing to start a war because she thought what she wanted was more important. Great thing to teach the kids, morons! That's just what we need: more self-absorbed and disobedient children.
What are the Disney people thinking?