Saturday, May 28, 2005

The Missionaries

Yesterday, I got a phone call I definitely wasn't expecting:
Me: Hello?

Caller: Hi, this is Elder Hatch. I was wondering if you and Tony wanted to help us teach tomorrow?

Me: Well, Tony's not here, but I'd be happy to.

Elder Hatch: Great! Meet us at the church at 1:00!

(conversation not verbatim)

To be honest, I didn't really want to eat into my Saturday via missionary stuff, but since I said I would, I did the missionary stuff.
The bad news: today was hot! 90ºF in fact (a very rare amount of heat in Germany)! And the church we were doing missionary work in had no air-conditioning (Germans think air conditioning is ungesund, meaning cold air blowing against you is the cause of all illness).
The good news: I enjoyed it. I had fun teaching the investigator whatever I had to offer. I enjoyed feeling the divine presense in the room.
That's right... divine presence!
Some of you out there aren't used to all the Mormony stuff that I sometimes include in this blog, but here's the biggest reason I believe in God: I've felt the presense of his Holy Spirit. Most people describe it like a fire within your chest (ironic that I'd like that at 90ºF). I find it's more like a swelling of joy. Have you ever had a hug? Next time you do, pay attention to the feeling in your chest area on the inside. That's a weaker version of what it feels like.
Now I can't wait until I become a missionary. I want to share this with everybody.

(Update: The word "divine" has been altered on this post.)