Tuesday, February 01, 2005

The Rubber Band Effect

Do not read this post until after reading "Ka-CHING." Also helpful for understanding the context of this post is a familiarity of the culture of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

If you've watched as many episodes of "Becker" as I have, you may have heard of something Becker described as the rubber band effect. Here's how Becker describes it (paraphrased):
"When good things happen, it's like pulling on a rubber band. It just keeps getting tighter and tighter, until finally it all snaps back at you, and all the good stuff that's happened is met with a whole bunch of crap."
You may have noticed how happy my previous post today was; abundant good things did happen today. However, that post was written before I came home from school, and the rubber band effect took effect. The instant I get home, I'm met with the news that a relative of mine (name and relation withheld) tried to commit suicide recently, and then my little brother had to call an ambulence for the mother of the family I home teach (the Cambels).
I'm trying to keep my optimistic outlook by thinking of the good that's happened to me, and claiming that all will be well in the end in both cases, and my brothers accused me of being selfish. My little brother, Johnny, even quoted the Book of Mormon exerpt at me, "...mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort..." (Mosiah 18:9) Excuse me, but nobody's mourning. There's still a lot of hope for both cases, and I refuse to let possibly bad sittuations ruin my awsome day, until they actually become bad.
Finally, let me point out that you do not have to be sad to comfort the sad. As a matter of fact, laughter is the best comfort, and sad people have a tendancy to ruin fun (even the best slapstick is not funny when somebody starts crying).
I'm not losing hope until all hope is lost, and I'm not frowning until forced to frown. Nothing will phase me.

"Come, come, ye Saints, no toil nor labor fear;
But with joy wend your way.
Though hard to you this journey may appear,
Grace shall be as your day.
'Tis better far for us to strive
Our useless cares from us to drive;
Do this and joy your hearts will swell --
All is well! All is well!

Why should we mourn or think our lot is hard?
'Tis not so; all is right.
Why should we think to earn a great reward
If we now shun the fight?
Gird up your loins; fresh courage take
Our God will never us forsake;
And soon we'll have this tale to tell --
All is well! All is well!"
- Verses 1 & 2 of "Come, Come, Ye Saints" by William Clayton